What did you do to your rig today?

Here is where we chat about the weather, tell jokes, talk about cooking, etc...
Necro

Re: What did you do to your rig today?

Postby Necro » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:24 am

Tonka wrote:I just ordered my fuel cell mount along with all the hoses and connections. Although seeing as how my rear axle is currently only held on by lowers and ratchet straps I'm not sure if I'll get to it right away.

What happened to your rear uppers?

Tonka

Postby Tonka » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:34 am

I was competing at rc two weeks ago and after the last course I noticed my diff was pointing almost at the ground. The passenger side bracket sheared off the axle and the drivers side bolt head pulled through the bracket and let the arm slip out. The track bar dug into the gas tank skid and kept it from rotating all the way back though so I was still able to finish the last course and get it on the trailer. I need to go long arm soon because I'm just ripping brackets off doing comps.

Necro

Postby Necro » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:56 pm

Tonka wrote:I was competing at rc two weeks ago and after the last course I noticed my diff was pointing almost at the ground. The passenger side bracket sheared off the axle and the drivers side bolt head pulled through the bracket and let the arm slip out. The track bar dug into the gas tank skid and kept it from rotating all the way back though so I was still able to finish the last course and get it on the trailer. I need to go long arm soon because I'm just ripping brackets off doing comps.

Damn Bro! You've broken more factory brakets than anyone I know, lol!

Tonka

Postby Tonka » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:41 pm

Just fixed it Tuesday. Got the bracket welded Back on for now...... Also got the track bar bracket welded up some more since it's cracking again. That thing was plated and gusseted on all sides already and still is getting stress cracks. But yeah, I don't go easy on her and I'm gonna have to redo the whole suspension sooner than later.

Necro

Postby Necro » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:51 am

Tonka wrote:Just fixed it Tuesday. Got the bracket welded Back on for now...... Also got the track bar bracket welded up some more since it's cracking again. That thing was plated and gusseted on all sides already and still is getting stress cracks. But yeah, I don't go easy on her and I'm gonna have to redo the whole suspension sooner than later.

Go with flex joints in the future and you'll have a lot less issues with cracked welds and torn off brackets. With conventional bushings all of the flex is converted into a bind which is basically twisting the rubber tightly against the brackets and the flex in the rubber is what is allowing the axle articulation, but it puts a lot of stress on the mounting brackets. Flex joints do not bind like rubber bushings do, thus they save the brackets.

Tonka

Postby Tonka » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:18 pm

Meh, I'm going double triangulated long arm. No use putting more money into a short arm. I'm gonna try to get her to hold together for one more season while I gather parts and if all goes well, next winter she'll get torn down and rebuilt to be a comp rig.

VaRipTide

Postby VaRipTide » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:44 am

Completely finished taking all brackets off the jeep. Set my 4 link and 3 link numbers in stone. Started drawing up brackets/truss designs in AutoCad to be cutout and decided to go to ORI Struts since new shocks, coils, swaybars and bumpstops would be pretty damn close to the same amount and since i'll eventually go to ORIS its wise to just bite the bullet once.

Necro

Postby Necro » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:50 pm

Good luck with the fancy air shocks! Make sure you set them up correctly. I know they're picky about the angles they're mounted at in order to make all their features and functions work correctly.

Gunner

Postby Gunner » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:29 pm

I just replaced my hinge pins for both LJ doors. The previous owner cross threaded/ ham fisted hex head security nuts on and bent the pins. Everywhere I read online stated you had to replace the hinges and pins as a unit. I bought the pins off Amazon for $10.00 for both sides and air hammered the old pins out after a day with PB blaster. Ball peen hammered/ pressed the new ones in and viola! Now my touch up painting skills will be tested. I plan on replacing the bushings too. Sad how expensive the bushings are for what they are.

Grouchytim

Postby Grouchytim » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:31 pm

Added some bling to the motor on Clyde. Starting the install of 2000 Grand Cherokee MPFI on the 4.7L stroker. New coil pack rail and upgraded 4 hole injectors.
Attachments
168EA947-7097-4CCB-AFDC-DB4A7A300A76_zpsvpxf3akx[1].jpg

Return to “Open Discussion”